Friday, October 13, 2006

Kingdom Come Again

kingdom-come1
Kingdom Come, the forthcoming album by Jay-Z, drew inspiration from Kingdom Come, the smash graphic novel written by the Monster Force's own Mark Waid, engineer Young Guru told XXLmag.com.

The best thing that I can tell you that there’s a song called ‘Kingdom Come’ on the album, which is the title of the album. The way that record came about was from a good friend of mine from college, Lance Williams, he’s one of those dudes that can memorize, he knows how many mics every album ever got. We’re both comic book guys and we’re talking about Kingdom Come which is a comic book that came out about Superman. He was just like, ‘Isn’t it weird where hip-hop is at right now, it’s like Kingdom Come and Jay needs to be like Superman.’ I was like, ‘You’re right.’ I hadn’t read Kingdom Come in so long so I went out and bought it and read it. And I’m like ‘Oh shit! It’s parallel, it’s crazy.’ So I’m telling Jay the idea, I gave him the book and he got it. That’s why I love that song because one of the things that Superman doesn’t realize in the comic book is, not only how ill he is as a superhero but his influence on inspiring the rest of his peers that are superheroes. So when Superman jets and says, ‘Y’all shittin’ on me, y’all want the niggas that’s gon’ kill the people and I don’t kill my enemies, I catch ‘em and, cool y’all deal with ‘em. I’m good.” Wonder Woman comes and she’s like “It ain’t just you doing what you do but Green Lantern ain’t doing his thing no more, The Flash ain’t doing his thing, you’re the leader, you inspire them to keep going and doing what they do.” That’s where the parallel comes in. And Jay can take an idea and incorporate it into a song better than anybody that I know and when he finally vocalized it, I felt it was exactly what I was thinking about.
That doesn't sound entirely accurate to me. Let's check it against my copy of the script:
KINGDOM COME
By Mark Waid

PAGE ONE

PANEL ONE
Angle on Superman, flying over Metropolis.

SUPERMAN: Y'all shittin' on me, y'all want the niggas that's gon' kill the people and I don't kill my enemies, I catch 'em and, cool y'all deal with 'em.

SUPERMAN: I'm good.

FROM OFF: It ain't just you doing what you do --

PANEL TWO
Superman turns to see Wonder Woman arrowing toward him.

WONDER WOMAN: -- but Green Lantern ain't doing his thing no more, The Flash ain't doing his thing, you're the leader, you inspire them to keep going and doing what they do!
OK, my mistake.

1 comment:

Stuart Moore said...

My files are a mess, but I think that led straight into one of the intercompany crossovers. Is this the next page?

PANEL THREE
TONY STARKS, THE IRON MAN, flies onto the scene -- wobbly, drunk. He looks around, paranoid.

TONY STARKS: Who that? Captain Kirk?

PANEL FOUR
Behind Tony, DARKSEID appears in the sky -- dragging ACCESS on a leash.

DARKSEID: TONY STARKS? YOU AIN'T HUNGRY. YOU AIN'T BEEN HUNGRY SINCE SUPREME CLIENTELE!

ACCESS: awk

TONY STARKS: Eat a dick!

SUPERMAN: Y'all shittin' on me again?