Tuesday, June 07, 2005

Nice Mouth

LukeCage
"When Cage gets MAD, he can cut loose with a stream of EXPLETIVES that lasts THREE HOURS and never REPEATS itself!" [Hero For Hire #8, April 1973]

"MOTHER OF--!" [Hero For Hire #1]

"MOTHERLESS FREAKIN' SCUM!" [Hero For Hire #6]

"Eat DIRT, man!" [Hero For Hire #7]

"JIVE-TALKIN', FREAKIN', MOTHERLESS CANDIDATE FOR THE PSYCHO HATCH!!" [Hero For Hire #8]

"You piece o' CRUD!"" [Ibid.]

"YOU MOTHERLESS MAGGOT-RIDDEN CHUNK OF STEAMIN'--" [Hero For Hire #13]

"Of all the freakin', mother-lovin' CRUD!" [Power Man #17]

"DOUBLE-CRUD!" [Ibid.]

"Holeeee CHRISTMAS!" [Power Man #19]

"SWEET JUMPIN' SISTER!" [Power Man #22]

"HOLY SPIT!" [Ibid.]

"HOLY MAMA!" [Power Man #23]

"CRIPES!" [Power Man #27]
I love my copy of Essential Luke Cage.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sweet Sister !

Luke Cage HERO FOR HIRE ( before it became POWERMAN) - was my absolute fave Marvel comic of the schwingin' 1970's ! I was thrilled to hear it had been ESSENTIAL-ised - I finally completed my own essential color collection recently - on a trip to the States ( I'm UK based) - I picked up the elusive issue 7 - kinda nice to buy this remaining issue from the actual country that sired this rockin' blaxploitation title !

HFH had a street cred that other Marvel titles failed to match - it was a down to earth mag - that pitted cage against a bunch of reptilian named villians like COTTON MOUTH and DIAMONDBACK - not to mention the incredible PIRANHA JONES or the supercool MR FISH !

Ade Salmon ( Mr Fish)

Anonymous said...

ESSENTIAL LUKE CAGE is indeed the finest work of literature known to man. It's hard to pick out a favorite passage, but here's a pair of captions from issue #13:

WHEN DASHIELL HAMMETT POPULARIZED "REALISTIC" DETECTIVES, HE TOOK PAINS TO POINT OUT HOW UNROMANTIC AND FRUITLESS MUCH OF THEIR WORK WAS.

RIGHT ON, DASH!

By the way, I almost injured myself standing on two chairs to reach my copy of ESSENTIAL LUKE CAGE on a high shelf -- just so I could post this. Do I get a special Superfrankenstein "I SUCK" prize?

--Stuart Moore

Stang said...

Stuart,

Not only is your nutty, nonexistent "I Suck" Prize winging its way to you, but your devoted derring-do has earned you the Luke Cage rank of Sweet Sister!

Like the man said... Right On!

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Superfrankenstein! And now, in the immortal words of (who else?) Luke Cage:

"Look, don't take it WRONG, but I'm BEAT, an' I SURELY do need a BATH!"*

--Stuart

* issue #9